Basing, basing and re-basing - the last for this bunch!
above: over halfway thru a big drive to re-base the armies
With lots of progress on my rules, and having played with single-bases for some time it is time to finish re-basing many of the figures. It took a while to work out the game mechanics for a single, solid base but I'm certain it will work. There's no doubt for me that 25mm is my "army scale" for larger boards and venues [I'll keep my 15mm Greeks and Romans/Gauls for small table games], and no doubt that the single large base is sturdier, safer, and easier to handle.
Below you can see how I shape the wood fill up into and against the corrugated cardboard on which the figs sit. You can also see how raised and solid the base itself is. As this is a continuation of previous posts HERE, in these posts, I won't repeat all the reasoning behind and creation of these big bases. It is important, I think, to work the 'fill in against the holes of the cardboard, so the weaker edges are braced.
Again, the fill is being pushed into the gaps - sometimes I removed a figure or two to easily access the other figs. Do NOT use superglue to put figs on bases! If you use Elmer's, you will be able to remove and adjust them pretty easily. Note the gap behind the higher figs that will be filled up. There's some height to this hill, but it seems like it'll work out.
Here are three figs that were removed to access the others easily. I'll get the 'fill in there and then re-glue them when the base is mostly done. Then they will dry with all the rest.
I occasionally had to add water [or leave exposed] the wood fill itself so I could get it wet and thin enough to use easily, but not too drippy. This is more of a "process as you go along" than a "one and done" sort of thing. Just add water whenever it is getting a bit stiff and then stir with an old brush handle, and you'll be fine.
Below, I am over the hump, and for a change of pace I'm testing the positioning of the Byzantine Scutatoi, testing how they fit together and look "natural". This takes a few minutes, but is one of my favorite parts of basing little dioramas.
Below. you can see how the back rank of Scutatoi are lining up. The guy on the right is providing a little drama by reacting to a threat. Once these fellows are mostly dry, about 45 minutes, I do most of the wood fill and am ready for the front rank, posed above them.
And here you see the result. The officer and rankers are in the front, and there's a nice feel of a solid infantry "block" yet they have some character and a touch of drama. One can feel they are holding a small rise in the face of the enemy, relying on shields and cohesion.
The forces massed, and organized for battle. Each row has six units, representing my thoughts on forces that should match up well for a "fair fight" and intro to the rules. I will use some cheap crayola brown paint to wash the bases as there's no time to flock them.
Below, the tools I used: Elmers Glue, Elmers Pro-bond Wood fill, old brushes [two about a 1/4" / 1cm, two smaller, one fine, the latter ones to work the 'fill in between the stands], all for basing. To remove figs from the old stands; the heavy [sharp] wood chisel, X-acto blade, wire snips, and some super-glue to make repairs for bits that came loose in the process.
It's been a bit of a saga itself, but I'm very happy with where the rules, the rule mechanics, and the craft work of basing are all coming together. I'll have a game that is mechanically easy to pick up, filled with subtle tactics and tactical choices, and the Units themselves will also quicken the game by being easy to handle. Plus, they will look great and be safer to handle and more resilient against scraping and breakage. Game on!
The next post will be about flocking - I want to learn some skills, including working with some rocks and fake water, so give each army a distinct basing scheme related to the terrain of their home country.