Monday, November 6, 2023

Middle Earth SBG - More Fig Progress

Plastic is fantastic - make your own Mordor Uruks!
Not as nice at the metals, but the price is right...

Over the last few weeks, have continued to try and push forwards cleaning, assembling and priming as much as possible before the weather really closes in and it is difficult to prime with spray cans.

Going with grey bases for my tunnel dwelling dwarfs and Moria goblins.  Knocked out 80 bases or more as I've lots of both figure sets.

It was tough to decide to go round again, but the figures are safer with the extra space of the round bases, and they'll play better without having to remember the diagonals especially with the larger bases.
All the ready goblins on grey rounds - just need to put rocks and debris on them to represent Moria, my favorite location for both forces. I plan to have a campaign in Moria.

Here are the [now] Thistle and Rose miniatures sculpted by the illustrious Colin Patten, on their old square bases:


Now, they are rounded again:
Well the front two are GW sculpts, of course, as are the archers below [Colin didn't have any dwarf archers back then]
GW archers led by a T&R hero with a VVV transfer shield:

As I'm planning to fight in Moria, I've got to get my Moria terrain done!  Also, it will make great objective markers:
Below, the cleaned and assembled terrain.  I'm happy with all of it except the top of the pillars...
Temporary fix... I glued cardboard to the top for a smoother appearance and no line diagonally across the top.  I'm uncertain what I might add to the top, preferably a high pillar to make it seem like the roof is "way up there".

These 12 Uruks came into my hands...somehow.  No idea how.  And I am not interested in an Isengard focused list [at least not "movie Isengard" anyway].  So the Uruks are going to become Mordor Uruks, which permits sword / shield and also a 2-Handed Weapon.
So, these Uruks will become 2-handed, somehow...

First, i hacked off all their pikes.
I left one long to be a standard-bearer...Uruks can have them, but Moria Goblins don't have them.

Used an X-Acto to start a pin-hole for the drill...
...then drilled a hole for each shortened polearm.

Morgoth's moon is in the sky!
Glued the shortened pike tops into the holes - they were perfect, nice and tight, probly didn't need glue at all.

Then, found some pole-arm axe-spear heads in my bits collection, these are 25mm War of the Roses heads.  I had trouble cutting them off. Best way was to lay the x-acto blade into the middle-ish of the pole, apply pressure, and do the same to the other side of the pole, then trim.
This resulted in saving the bands of iron that bolt the head to the pole, pretty effectively.  I then did a little trimming, and glued it onto the end of the pole with super-glue.
End result - not bad, primitive and violent, like my Uruks!
The two heads I didn't need I cut and made double-bladed heads for two pole arms.  End results are at top.
Overall, I feel like this gives them enough variety to look good for the table, and they are pretty clearly 2-Handed weapons. The Uruks - in the book - participate in the fight at Balin's tomb, aka the Chamber of Mazarbul or Chamber of Records. Gandalf identifies them as Black Uruks from Mordor.  So I will use these are "heavies" for my Goblins in the campaign. Altogether, I've these 12 plastics, and in metal 3 Berserkers, 3 archers, and a captain.

I enjoyed customizing these guys, and creating a bit of variety out of what I had.  There's definitely more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! t will be posted after it's moderated.