Sunday, November 13, 2016

What's Next?

"We'll show these knuckleheads which rules are the best!!"
So, you may be wondering what is next. There are several possibilities starting with the easiest...

1) Finish writing up the Optional Feudal rules and the Army Lists, including the force matrix I tweaked for the types of Feudal battles my rules represent. Maybe knock out a short campaign series of games to playtest the rules a bit more.

2) Finish the last touches on my [nearly] painted Dark Age forces. There are an absurd bunch more Saxons and Welsh that are 90% done. I should also complete basing units. My goal would be to have enough Units for 6-8 people to play, so at least 12 Units a side or four complete forces. There are also some Heroes to be painted and flags to be finished. I've some opportunities to host the game, so should get to it.

3) Concurrently with #2, update my Dark Age rules to the mechanics of the Feudal rules which have several aspects better phrased or fleshed out. The Dark Age rules are really quite interesting, with both heavy and skirmish cavalry, altho nothing on the danger level of Knights, of course. In previous iterations [published here with several AARs] they provided an interesting tactical challenge as the dangerous attack Units are Warband who are slower than Knights, and can be faced down with shieldwall infantry who are properly deployed or harassed by skirmishers. Overall, an interesting game every time. I think the latest rules mechanics would make it even better.

4) Get busy with my 15mm Ancient Greeks. Lots of figures and bases nearly done for about 50-60 stands or so in the DBx systems. I could use groups of 4 for OHW easily. I'd also like to try out the DBA 3.0 I bought quite some time ago, and compare it to the OHW rules for both historical feel and enjoyment factor. There's plenty of Peloponnesian War to fight with these figs! 

5) Write up the Greek Peloponnesian War rules and lists. I'd be using the same mechanical corrections I've developed with the Feudal rules, bringing them back to the ancient period. However, would probably steal a few fluff ideas from the extremely flavorful and free Hoplomachia rules, which unfortunately I've found to be a bit cumbersome and obscure at times. Most likely the fluff would come into play with Heroes, but a few things could be easily adopted as they happen before the battle and don't affect how the game is played but more the scenario itself.

6) Along the same lines, the Romans have about 25 DBx stands completely finished, but the Gauls are still on paint sticks. A bunch of work to finish painting them up, but they'd bring a lot of play time as I'd have two Roman and two Gallic armies for DBA. Have always wanted to play a campaign based on Caesar's Gallic Wars.

So there's lots of possibilities. Part of me wants to tinker immediately with the Greeks, but as I've a request to GM some games at a friend's house I'm leaning towards the Dark Ages as they are 25mm and make for a better display on the table. The large single bases also provide opportunities for a diorama which makes basing a lot more fun.

Of course, all this is in the future as I'm away playing 1:1 Army, and then I'll return just before Thanksgiving, so a few weeks ahead at least.

Still, ready to hear any votes from the people so chime in!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! t will be posted after it's moderated.